Module 4 I Lesson 16:
1. The box contains useful vocabulary for this type of task. Complete the labels on the maps ‘Now’ and ‘Twenty years ago’ with the correct word from the box.
Bridge church east residential area farm fields hills motorway north pond west skyscraper river south stadium windmill
Practise reading maps
2. Look at the following Writing Task 1. Then complete the list of changes below.
The following maps show the changes that have taken place in the centre of a town since 1700. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. Write at least 150 words.
Describing changes in a place
3. Match the verbs in the box to the definitions.
Add remove modernize extend replace reconstruct expand improve renovate reduce develop.
4. Think about your own town. What changes have taken place over the last ten years? Write sentences using some of the verbs in the box.
Modernized replaced expanded increased knocked down built renovated developed
5. Your answer for Writing Task 1 will be marked against specific criteria. One of these is Grammatical Accuracy. To obtain a good score, you need to produce writing that is grammatically accurate.
Correct the 10 mistakes underlined in the answer below.
The two maps 1. allows us to see the changes in one small town over a 300-year period. In the 1700s, the town was relatively small and 2. consists of a few farms and houses gathered around a central market place and church. Transport 3. restricted to horses at that time so the roads were very basic. Having said that, the roads were clearly marked and the river had a bridge running across it.
In the present-day town, a great day 4. changing. Perhaps the most noticeable changes are those relating to transportation. Our modem-day needs are very different and so the roads 5. are improving and traffic lights, a roundabout and a zebra crossing 6. been adding, as well as an extra road. Increased traffic means that a car park 7. now replaced. Goode Farm and the fields that 8. are locate at the top of the 1700 map. Housing is another area where many changes 9. are made. While in 1700 there were few houses, now there are rows of houses and a block of flats instead of the stables. A further development is the supermarket and the hotel which 10. is extending.
Coherence and cohesion
6. Read these sentences which compare the two maps.
Grammar: Linking words
7. The box contains more words and short phrases which help to link your idea together. Write the words in the correct column in the table.
In addition in comparison in conclusion in contrast particularly moreover similarly to sum up to summerise what is more
Use the information and language from this lesson to answer this Writing Part 1 task. You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
The following maps show some of the changes that have taken place in Dubai in recent decades.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words.