Unit 2 I Lesson 18:
Answer the question in the recording.
Paraphrasing common responses.
Read the IELTS Speaking Part 3 questions and listen to the student’s answers.
1. Match the student’s answers with the questions.
2. Put the phrases in the correct column.
I’m not sure whether I like …. I often enjoy…. I’m not really interested in …. I don’t know if I like …. I’m not a big fan of …. I hate …. I don’t look forward to …. a lot of people like …. I’m very keen on …. I don’t know much about …. Not many people like…
3. Complete the phrases for extending your answers. Use the words in the box.
As believe depends explanation is happen instance is that opinion question suggest
Providing more detailed responses
4. Complete the sentence about things you do and do not like doing.
Ask and answer these Speaking Part 1 questions with a partner.
1. What do you usually do in your spare time?
2. Do you prefer doing things by yourself or with friends?
3. Is there anything special you do at the weekends?
4. Do you think you get enough free time?
Answer the prompts in this Speaking Part 2 task. Talk for at least 60 seconds. Remember to use the connecting words you studied before.
Describe a sports event you watched or attended.
You should say:
and explain why you consider this sports event interesting.
You are going to do IELTS Speaking Part 3.
Listen to the examiner. Record your answers.. Play to hear your answers.
Working on Part 3
Look at the phrases in the table. You can use them to extend your answers.
It might happen My view is that That’s an interesting question should alternatively for instance the reason is that
1. Study the words
2. Record your answers
Prepare the answers to these questions:
- Do you think that playing sports is less important now than in the past
- How can people be encouraged to take part in more sport?
- Do you think that the way people watch sport has changed much over the years?
- Is it more realistic if you watch it on a large screen? Is it a good idea to watch sport on your mobile phone?
- Do people who watch a lot of sport also play a lot of sport?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of watching sport live rather than on television?